Tuesday, August 28, 2012

The Power of Six - Chapter 26


Chapter 26


I DO IT WITHOUT EVEN THINKING. THE SECOND the man points at
me from the edge of the hole in the roof, I send two metal
bed frames rocketing towards him. The second one is a
direct hit. He falls forward and into the sleeping quarters;
and when he hits the stone floor, to my amazement, he turns
into a pile of dirt or ash.
“Run!” Adelina screams.
We crash into the hallway, pushing against the flow of the
other girls and Sisters heading to the south wing for safety. I
take hold of Adelina’s hand and guide us to the nave and
down the center aisle.
“Where are we going?” Adelina yells.
“We’re not leaving without the Chest!”
Another explosion rocks the foundation of the orphanage
and my hip crashes into a pew.
“I’ll be right back,” I whisper, releasing her hand, floating
towards the nook.
Six tells us we’re close to Washington, DC, and that makes
sense. I am considered an armed and dangerous terrorist;
no wonder I was taken to the nation’s capital for
questioning.
“There’s a flight leaving Dulles International in less than
an hour,” she says, turning the wheel. “I’m getting on that
plane. Sam, are you with me or are you with John?”
Sam places his forehead on the backseat and closes his
eyes.
“Sam?” Six asks.
“I’m thinking, I’m thinking,” he says. After a minute, he
raises his head and looks right at me. “I’m going with John.”
I mouth Thank you.
“It’ll be easier for me to get there alone, anyway,” Six
says, but she sounds hurt.
“You’ll be fighting with more experienced Garde
members,” I reassure her. “Plus, it’s probably going to take
two of us to get both of our Chests out of there.”
Bernie Kosar barks from the front seat.
“Yeah, buddy,” I say. “You’re a part of this team, too.”
The Chest is gone. My entire body sweats with panic. I
almost vomit. Did the Mogadorians know it was up here the
whole time? Why didn’t they trap me in here when they had
the chance? I float back onto the nave floor.
“It’s gone, Adelina,” I whisper.
“The Chest?”
“It’s gone.” I hug her and bury my face in her shoulder.
She pulls something up over her head. It’s a pale blue,
almost transparent amulet attached to a beige cord. She
carefully slips it over my hair until the amulet touches my
neck. It’s both cold and warm at the same time against my
skin, and then it glows brightly. My breath is taken away.
“What is it?” I ask, covering the glow with my hands.
“Loralite, the most powerful gem on Lorien, found only at
its core,” she whispers. “I’ve hidden it this whole time. It’s
yours, and there’s no use in hiding it any longer. They know
who you are, with or without the amulet. I’ll never forgive
myself for not training you properly. Never. I’m sorry,
Marina.”
“It’s okay,” I say, feeling tears well up behind my eyes. All
these years, this was all I had wanted from her.
Understanding. Companionship. The acknowledgment of
shared secrets.
We get closer to the airport, and the fear of splitting up
weighs heavily on us. Sam tries to distract himself by
studying the papers Six took from his dad’s office. “I wish I
could spread these out in some library’s reference section.”
“After West Virginia,” I say. “I promise.”
Six gives me and Sam careful instructions on how to find
the map that’ll take us to the cave. The rest of the trip
passes in silence. We pull into a McDonald’s parking lot a
mile from Dulles.
“There are three things you guys have to know.”
I sigh. “Why do I have the feeling that none of these things
are going to be good?”
She ignores me and writes something on the back of a
receipt. “First, here’s the address that I’ll be at in exactly
two weeks at five p.m. Meet me there. If I’m not there, or, if
for some reason you aren’t, then return in another week and
I’ll do the same. If one of us doesn’t make it after the
second week, then I think we can assume the other isn’t
coming.” She hands it to Sam, who reads it and shoves it
into his jeans pocket.
“Two weeks, five p.m.,” I say. “Got it. The second thing?”
“Bernie Kosar can’t go into the cave with you.”
“Why not?”
“Because it’ll kill him. I don’t understand it completely, but
the Mogadorians control their beasts by filtering some sort
of gas throughout the cave that only affects animals. If one
leaves its designated place, it drops dead. When I finally
got out, there was a heap of dead animals right at the
cave’s entrance. Animals that had gotten too close.”
“Gross,” Sam says.
“And the last thing?”
“Their cave is equipped with every detection device you
can think of. Cameras, motion detectors, body temperature
gauges, infrared. Everything. The Xitharis will allow you to
get past everything; but once it’s out of juice, look out,
because they’re going to find you.”
“Where do we go?” I ask Adelina. Now that the Chest is
gone, I feel directionless. Even with the amulet around my
neck.
“We go to the belfry, and you use your telekinesis to get
us into the yard. Then we run.”
I take her hand and start running when a ball of fire
suddenly roars from the back of the nave. The fire takes
hold of the back pews and rages towards the high ceiling.
The nave is now brighter than it is during Sunday Mass. A
man in a trench coat with long blond hair walks confidently
out of the northern hallway, our path to freedom, and every
muscle in my body seems to come unwound at the same
time; every inch of skin breaks out with goose bumps.
He stands watching us, the flames attacking several
more rows of pews, and then a sneer slowly breaks across
his face. From the corner of my eye, I can see Adelina
reach into her dress and remove something, but I can’t tell
what it is. She stands beside me, her eyes aimed at the
back of the nave. And then, ever so gently, she reaches up
and pushes me behind her.
“I can’t make up for lost time, or for the wrongs that I’ve
done,” she says. “But I’m certainly going to try. Don’t let
them catch you.”
Just then the Mogadorian comes charging towards us,
right down the center aisle. He’s far larger than he looked
from a distance, and he lifts a long sword that glows a
fluorescent green color.
“Get as far from here as you can,” Adelina says without
turning. “Be brave, Marina.”
Six places the Xitharis into the console’s cupholder and
then slides out of the SUV. “I’m running late,” she says as
she closes her door.
Sam and I both exit the vehicle after carefully studying the
parking lot, the other cars, the people milling about.
I round the front of the hood and watch as Six hugs Sam.
“Kick some ass over there,” he says.
They separate and she says, “Sam, thank you for helping
us even when you don’t have to. Thank you for being so
amazing.”
“You’re amazing,” he whispers. “Thanks for letting me tag
along.”
To my surprise and Sam’s, Six steps forward and kisses
him on the cheek. They smile at each other, and once Sam
sees me over Six’s shoulder, he blushes, opens the driver’s
door, and climbs inside.
I don’t want her to go. As much as it pains me to admit it,
I know I might never see her again. She looks at me with a
certain tenderness that I’m not sure I’ve ever seen from her
before.
“I like you, John. For the past few weeks, I’ve tried
convincing myself that I don’t, especially because of Sarah
and how much of an idiot you can be … but I do. I do like
you.”
The words knock me over. I hesitate, then say “I like you,
too.”
“Do you still love Sarah?” she asks.
I nod. She deserves the truth. “I do, but it’s all really
confusing. She may have turned me in, and she may never
want to see me again because I told her I thought you were
pretty. But Henri once said that the Loric fall in love once in
their life. And so that means I will always love Sarah.”
Six shakes her head. “Don’t take offense at what I’m
about to say, okay? But Katarina never told me that. In fact,
she told me stories about multiple loves she had on Lorien
over the years. I’m sure Henri was a great man, and there’s
no doubt that he loved you with everything he had; but it
sounds like he was a romantic and wanted you to follow in
his footsteps. If he had one true love, then he wanted you to
have one, too.”
I’m silent, taking in her theory and pushing Henri’s to the
side.
She can tell I’m struggling with her words. “What I’m
saying is, when the Loric fall in love, a lot of times it is for
life. Obviously, it was for Henri. But not always.”
And with that last sentence, Six steps towards me and I
step towards her. The kiss that eluded us at the end of our
walk in Florida now connects us with a passion I thought I’d
reserved for Sarah and Sarah alone. I never want this kiss
to end, but Sam turns on the engine and we separate.
“Sam likes you, too, you know,” I say.
“And I like Sam.”
I cock my head. “But you just said you like me.”
She pushes me on my shoulder. “You like me and Sarah.
I like you and Sam. Deal with it.”
She turns invisible, but I can sense she’s still in front of
me.
“Please be careful over there, Six. I wish we could all stay
together.”
Her voice comes out of the air. “Me, too, John; but
whoever is in Spain needs help. Can’t you feel it?”
I can tell she’s already gone by the time I say, “Yes.”
I try to move, but I’m rooted in place. A glint of light in
Adelina’s hand catches my gaze, and I realize that what she
removed from her dress was a kitchen knife. She runs
towards the Mogadorian, and I start running down a pew
the other way. With precision I’ve never seen before from
her, she drops to the ground as the Mogadorian leaps and
swings his sword for her throat. He misses her entirely, and
swings his sword for her throat. He misses her entirely, and
as she comes back up she catches him flush with the
knife’s blade across his right thigh. Dark blood spurts out,
but it does little to slow the Mogadorian; he turns and brings
the sword back down. Adelina rolls forward, and it’s with
nothing short of awe that I watch her pass the knife across
the Mogadorian’s other leg as the momentum pushes her
to her feet. How can I leave Adelina to fight alone?
I stop running, clench my hands into fists, but before I can
do anything the man’s left hand is wrapped around
Adelina’s throat, lifting her off the ground. His right hand
drives the sword through her heart.
“No!” I yell, jumping on top of the pew’s bench, rushing
down the wood towards them.
Adelina’s eyes shut, and with her very last breath, she
thrusts her arm up and the knife’s blade cuts an arc in the
air in front of her. It falls from her hand and clatters to the
floor. For a second I think she’s missed, but I’m wrong. The
cut was made so cleanly that a full two seconds pass
before the dark blood spills out. He drops Adelina and falls
to his knees, both hands clutched to the front of his throat to
stop the bleeding, but the blood simply cascades through
his fingers. I walk towards him and take a deep breath. I
raise my hand and lift Adelina’s knife from off the floor. I let
it hover for a brief moment, and just as his eyes widen at
the sight of it, I plunge it into his chest. He disintegrates
before my eyes, his body turning to ash and spreading
across the floor.
I drop to my knees and take Adelina’s lifeless body into
my arms, cupping the back of her head and pulling her to
my arms, cupping the back of her head and pulling her to
me. Our cheeks touch and I begin to cry. She’s gone, and
regardless of my recently discovered Legacy, I know there
isn’t anything I can do to bring her back. I need help.

0 comments:

Post a Comment