Tuesday, March 27, 2012

I Am Number Four - Chapter 29




CHAPTER 29

"HOW DID YOU KNOW IT WAS ME?" I ASK.
She looks to the door. "I've been trying to find you ever since Three was killed. But I'll explain it all later. First, we have to get out of here."
"How did you get in without them seeing you?"
"I can make myself invisible."
I smile. The same Legacy my grandfather had. Invisibility. The ability to make those things he touches invisible as well, like the house on Henri's
second day of work.
"How far do you live from here?" she asks.
"Three miles."
I feel her nod through the darkness.
"Do you have a Cepan?" she asks.
"Yes, of course. Don't you?"
Her weight shifts and she pauses before speaking, as though drawing strength from some unseen entity. "I did," she says. "She died three years
ago. I've been on my own since then."
"I'm sorry," I say.
"It's a war, people are going to die. Right now we have to get out of here or we'll die as well. If they're in the area, then they already know where you
live, which means they're already there, so it's pointless to try to be secretive once we're out of here. These are only scouts. The soldiers are on the way.
They have the swords. The beasts won't be far behind. Time is short. At best we have a day. At worst they're already here."
My first thought: They already know where I live. I panic. Henri is at home, with Bernie Kosar, and the soldiers and beasts may already be there.
My second thought: her Cepan, dead three years now. Six has been alone that long, alone on a foreign planet since what, the age of thirteen? Fourteen?
"He's at home," I say.
"Who?"
"Henri, my Cepan."
"I'm sure he's fine. They won't touch him as long as you're free. It's you they want, and they'll use him to try to lure you," Six says, then lifts her head
towards the barred window. We turn and look with her. Speeding around the bend coming towards the school, very faintly so that nothing else can be
seen, is a pair of headlights that slow, pass the exit, then turn into the entrance and quickly disappear. Six turns back to us. "All the doors are blocked.
How else can we get out?"
I think about it, figuring that one of the unbarred windows in a different classroom is our best bet.
"We can get out through the gymnasium," Sarah says. "There's a passageway beneath the stage that opens like a cellar door in the back of the
school."
"Really?" I ask.
She nods, and I feel a sense of pride.
"Each of you take a hand," Six says. I take her right, Sarah her left. "Be as quiet as possible. As long as you hold my hands, you'll both be invisible.
They won't be able to see us, but they'll hear us. Once we're outside we'll run like hell. We'll never be able to escape them, not since they've found us. The
only way to escape is to kill them, every last one of them, before the others arrive."
"Okay," I say.
"Do you know what that means?" Six says.
I shake my head. I'm not sure what she is asking me.
"There's no escaping them now," she says. "It means you're going to have to fight."
I mean to respond, but the shuffling I had heard earlier stops outside the door. Silence. Then the doorknob is jiggled. Number Six takes a deep
breath and lets go of my hand.
"Never mind sneaking out," she says. "The war starts now."
She rushes up and thrusts her hands forward and the door breaks away from the jamb and crashes across the hallway. Splintered wood.
Shattered glass.
"Turn your lights on!" she yells.
I snap them on. A Mogadorian stands amid the rubble of the broken door. It smiles, blood seeping from the corner of its mouth, where the door has
hit it. Black eyes, pale skin as though the sun has never touched it. A cave-dwelling creature risen from the dead. It throws something that I don't see and I
hear Six grunt beside me. I look into its eyes and a pain tears through me so that I'm stuck where I am, unable to move. Darkness falls. Sadness. My body
stiffens. A haze of pictures of the day of the invasion flicker through my mind: the death of women and children, my grandparents; tears, screams, blood,
heaps of burning bodies. Six breaks the spell by lifting the Mogadorian in the air and hurling it against the wall. It tries standing and Six lifts it again, this
time throwing it as hard as she can against one wall and then the other. The scout falls to the ground twisted and broken, its chest rising once and then
becoming still. One or two seconds pass. Its entire body collapses into a pile of ash, accompanied by a sound similar to a bag of sand being dropped to
the ground.
"What the hell?" I ask, wondering how it's possible for the body to completely disintegrate like it just did.
"Don't look into their eyes!" she yells, ignoring my confusion.
I think of the writer of They Walk Among Us . I now understand what he went through when looking into their eyes. I wonder if he welcomed death
when the time finally came, welcomed it just to be rid of the images that perpetually played in his mind. I can only imagine how intense they would have
become had Six not broken the spell.
Two other scouts sweep towards us from the end of the hall. A shroud of darkness surrounds them, as though they consume everything around
them and turn it into black. Six stands tall in front of me, firm, chin held high. She is two inches shorter than I am, but her presence makes her seem two
inches taller. Sarah stands behind me. Both Mogadorians stop where the hallway intersects with another, their teeth bared in a sneer. My body is tense,
muscles burning with exhaustion. They take deep, rasping breaths, which is what we heard outside the door, their breathing, not their walking. Watching
us. And then a different noise fills the hallway, and the Mogadorians both turn their attention to it. A door being shaken as though somebody is trying to
force it open. From out of nowhere there comes the sound of a gun blast, followed by the school door being kicked open. They both look surprised, and
as they turn to flee, two more blasts boom through the hallway and both scouts are blown backwards. We hear the approaching sound of two sets of
shoes and the click of a dog's toenails. Six tenses beside me, ready for whatever is coming our way. Henri! It was his truck's lights we saw enter the
school grounds. He has a double-barreled shotgun I have never seen before. Bernie Kosar is at his side, and he comes sprinting towards me. I crouch
down and lift him off the floor. He licks wildly at my face, and I'm so excited to see him that I almost forget to tell Six who the man with the shotgun is.
"It's Henri," I say. "My Cepan."
Henri comes walking down, vigilant, looking at the classroom doors as he passes them, and behind him, carrying the Loric Chest in his arms, is
Mark. I have no idea why Henri has brought him along. There is a crazed look in Henri's eyes, one of exhaustion, full of fear and worry. I expect the worst
after the way I left the house, some sort of scolding, perhaps a slap across the face, but he instead switches the shotgun to his left hand and hugs me as
tightly as he can. I hug him back.
"I'm sorry, Henri. I didn't know this would happen."
"I know you didn't. I'm just happy you're okay." He says, "Come on, we have to get out of here. The whole damn school is surrounded."
Sarah leads us to the safest room she can think of, which is the home economics kitchen down the hall. We lock the door behind us. Six moves
three refrigerators in front of it to keep anything from entering while Henri rushes to the windows and pulls the blinds down. Sarah walks straight into the
kitchen we normally use, opens the drawer, and removes the biggest butcher's knife she can find. Mark watches her, and when he sees what she has
done, he drops the Chest to the floor and grabs a knife of his own. He rifles through other drawers and removes a meat-tenderizer hammer and tucks it
into the waistband of his pants.
"You guys okay?" Henri asks.
"Yes," I say.
"Aside from the dagger in my arm, yes, I'm fine," Six says.
I turn my lights on dimly and look at her arm. She wasn't kidding. Where the biceps meets the shoulder a small dagger is sticking out. That was
why I heard her gasp before she killed the scout. It had thrown a knife at her. Henri reaches up and pulls it free. She grunts.
"Thankfully it's just a dagger," she says, looking at me. "The soldiers will have swords that glow with different sorts of powers."
I mean to ask what kind of powers, but Henri interrupts.
"Take this," he says, and holds the shotgun out for Mark to take. He accepts it in his free hand without protest, staring in awe at everything he is
witnessing around him. I wonder how much Henri has told him. I wonder why Henri brought him along in the first place. I look back at Six. Henri presses a
rag to her arm and she holds it in place. He steps over and lifts the Chest and sets it on the nearest table.
"Here, John," he says.
Without explanation I help him unlock it. He throws the top open, reaches in, removes a flat rock every bit as dark as the aura surrounding the
Mogadorians. Six seems to know what the rock is for. She takes her shirt off. Beneath it she is wearing a black and gray rubber suit very similar to the
silver and blue suit I saw my father wear in my flashbacks. She takes a deep breath, offers Henri her arm. Henri thrusts the rock against the gash, and Six,
with her teeth clenched tightly, grunts and writhes in pain. Sweat beads across her forehead, her face bright red under the strain, tendons standing out on
her neck. Henri holds it there for nearly a full minute. He pulls the stone away and Six bends over at the waist, taking deep breaths to compose herself. I
look at her arm. Aside from a bit of blood still glistening, the cut is completely healed, no scars, nothing aside from the small tear in the suit.
"What is that?" I ask, nodding to the rock.
"It's a healing stone," says Henri.
"Stuff like that really exists?"
"On Lorien it does, but the pain of healing is double that of the original pain caused by whatever has happened, and the stone only works when the
injury was done with the intent to harm or kill. And the healing stone has to be used right away."
"Intent?" I ask. "So, the stone wouldn't work if I tripped and cut my head by accident?"
"No," Henri says. "That's the whole point of Legacies. Defense and purity."
"Would it work on Mark or Sarah?"
"I have no idea," Henri says. "And I hope we don't have to find out."
Six catches her breath. She stands straight, feeling her arm. The red in her face begins to fade. Behind her, Bernie Kosar is running back and
forth from the blocked door to the windows, which are placed too high off the ground for him to see out of, but he stands on his hind legs and tries anyway,
growling at what he feels is out there. Maybe nothing, I think. Occasionally he bites at the air.
"Did you get my phone today when you were at the school?" I ask Henri.
"No," he says. "I didn't grab anything."
"It wasn't there when I went back."
"Well, it wouldn't work here anyway. They've done something to our house and the school. The power is off, and no signals penetrate whatever sort
of shield they've set up. All the clocks have stopped. Even the air seems dead."
"We don't have much time," Six interrupts.
Henri nods. A slight grin appears while he looks at her, a look of pride, maybe even relief.
"I remember you," he says.
"I remember you, too."
Henri reaches out his hand and Six shakes it. "It's shit good to see you again."
"Damn good," I correct him, but he ignores me.
"I've been looking for you guys for a while," Six says.
"Where is Katarina?" Henri asks.
Six shakes her head. A mournful look crosses her face.
"She didn't make it. She died three years ago. I've been looking for the others since, you guys included."
"I'm sorry," Henri says.
Six nods. She looks across the room at Bernie Kosar, who has just begun to growl ferociously. He seems to have grown tall enough so that his
head is able to peek out the bottom of the window. Henri picks the shotgun up off the floor and walks to within five feet of the window.
"John, turn your lights off," he says. I comply. "Now, on my word, pull the blinds."
I walk to the side of the window and wrap the cord twice around my hand. I nod to Henri, and over his shoulder I see that Sarah has placed her
palms against her ears in anticipation of the blast. He cocks the shotgun and aims it.
"It's payback time," he says, then, "Now!"
I pull the cord and the blind flies up. Henri fires the shotgun. The sound is deafening, echoing in my ears for seconds after. He cocks the gun again,
keeps it aimed. I twist my body to look out. Two fallen scouts are lying in the grass, unmoving. One of them is reduced to ash with the same hollow thud as
the one in the hallway. Henri shoots the other a second time and it does the same. Shadows seem to swarm around them.
"Six, bring a fridge over," Henri says to her.
Mark and Sarah watch with amazement as the fridge floats in the air towards us and is positioned in front of the window to block the Mogadorians
from entering or seeing into the room.
"Better than nothing," Henri says. He turns to Six. "How much time do we have?"
"Time is short," she says. "They have an outpost three hours from here, in a hollowed-out mountain in West Virginia."
Henri snaps the gun open, slides in two new cartridges, snaps it shut.
"How many bullets does that hold?" I ask.
"Ten," he says.
Sarah and Mark whisper to each other. I walk over to them.
"You guys okay?" I ask.
Sarah nods, Mark shrugs, neither really knowing quite what to say in the terror of the situation. I kiss Sarah on the cheek and take hold of her hand.
"Don't worry," I say. "We'll get out of this."
I turn to Six and Henri. "Why are they just out there waiting?" I ask. "Why don't they break a window and rush in? They know they have us
outnumbered."
"They only want to keep us here, inside," Six says. "They have us exactly where they want us, all together, confined to one place. Now they're
waiting for the others to arrive, the soldiers with the weapons, the ones who are skilled at killing. They're desperate now because they know we're
developing our Legacies. They can't afford to screw it up and risk us getting stronger. They know that some of us can now fight back."
"We have to get out of here then," Sarah pleads, her voice soft and shaky.
Six nods reassuringly to her. And then I remember something I had forgotten in all the excitement.
"Wait, your being here, us being together, that breaks the charm. All the others are fair game now," I say. "They can kill us at will."
I can see by the look of horror on Henri's face that it had slipped his mind as well.
Six nods. "I had to risk it," she says. "We can't keep running, and I'm sick of waiting. We're all developing, all of us are ready to hit back. Let's not
forget what they did to us that day, and I'm not going to forget what they did to Katarina. Everybody we know is dead, our families, our friends. I think
they're planning to do the same thing to Earth as they did to Lorien, and they are almost ready. To sit back and do nothing is to allow that same
destruction, that same death and annihilation. Why stand back and let it happen? If this planet dies, we die with it."
Bernie Kosar is still barking at the window. I almost want to let him outside, see what he can do. His mouth is frothing with his teeth bared, hair
standing tall down the center of his back. The dog is ready, I think. The question is, are the rest of us?
"Well, you're here now," Henri says. "Let's hope the others are safe; let's hope they can fend for themselves. Both of you will know immediately if
they can't. As for us, war has come to our doorstep. We didn't ask for it, but now that it's here we have no choice but to meet it, head on, with full force," he
says. He lifts his head and looks at us, the whites of his eyes glistening through the dark of the room.
"I agree with you, Six," he says. "The time has come."

0 comments:

Post a Comment